Saturday, September 17, 2005

Stitchery & creativity

My love for needlework began as a child, when my grandmother taught me to do embroidery on a preprinted dresser scarf. She taught me how to do the (I believe it's called) stem stitch, lazy daisies, satin and french knots. Boy, did I hate those french knots though! It was only 2 or 3 years ago that I sorta got the hang of doing them! Anyway, when I was 18, my best friend introduced me to counted cross stitch....and I was hooked. I've always loved both kinds of stitching though, and often look at primitive stitching patterns online, usually at quilt shops. My very most favorite stitchery designer is Bareroots and I own a few, though I have a long wish list of her patterns. A newly discovered by me, and just awesome, IMO is Crabapple Hill . If you enjoy doing some primitive stitchery and sewing, you definitely need to check them out! And if you just need some cool ideas for finishing your own cross stitch, you can be inspired.
My grandmother also taught me to crochet when I was really young, and I followed instructions in a knitting magazine as a teenager to create an ugly green knitted scarf. The lovely and fun yarns available today are mouth watering, but I am determined to only purchase what I can crochet on to flip-flops. Another hobby obsession I do not need (knitting)! I bartered with a friend last winter to have a scarf knitted out of some wonderful, soft red yarn-I sewed her a project case, she made me the scarf. Well, I have some sewing projects on my weekend to-do list. Zipper bags, here I come. Yesterday, I started Little House Needleworks 'ABC 123' and hope to make good progress on that this weekend as well. I could blow all my time online reading blogs and looking at bb's and online shops, but am determined to accomplish some things on my goals list this month! Thanks to everybody who visits my blog, and I will be reading yours soon too! :-) Happy Stitching

4 Comments:

Blogger Cathy B said...

Hi Tobie,

My love for needlework started when I was about 12 years old. My Mom and her sisters and a few close friends used to get together to crochet every Monday night. They taught me how to crochet and do stamped cross stitch. I remember taking a crewel embroidery class as a teenager. I finally learned how to do counted cross stitch when I was in my 20's. About 10 years ago I learned Hardanger. Hardanger and counted cross stitch are now my favorites.

Happy Stitching!

10:27 PM  
Blogger Cathy B said...

Hi Tobie,

My love for needlework started when I was about 12 years old. My Mom and her sisters and a few close friends used to get together to crochet every Monday night. They taught me how to crochet and do stamped cross stitch. I remember taking a crewel embroidery class as a teenager. I finally learned how to do counted cross stitch when I was in my 20's. About 10 years ago I learned Hardanger. Hardanger and counted cross stitch are now my favorites.

Happy Stitching!

10:27 PM  
Blogger Chelle said...

Thanks for sharing the links Tobie - I love them!

10:32 AM  
Blogger Cathy B said...

Tobie -

If you e-mail me off line and provide me with your address, I will send you the LHN freebies that I have. They weren't kits, just flyers that I obtained from my LNS.

Cathy

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home